Andrew Brassington led on the design of our Producing for VFX course at Escape Studios, drawing on his own experiences in production, teaching and course development. He has worked with their industry partners, including Framestore and Electric Theatre Collective, to ensure the course covered all of the main skills and topics required to pursue a career as a producer in the VFX Industry. Andrew has also helped to develop a number of other short courses in the last 3 years including Motion Graphics and Cinematography for VFX (on-set VFX). He is currently in the process of developing a 12 week/ 18 week/ MA in VFX/Games/Animation Production
What has Andrew been up to?
- October 2016 – Andrew led a masterclass on professional skills for VFX, games and animation at Ravensbourne.
- November 2016 – Ran a masterclass on professional skills for VFX, games and animation for the University of West of England and Skillset.
- July -September 2017 – Alex Williams and Andrew led a bespoke workshop for Jagex Games, Cambridge teaching Maya to their animators.
- February 2017 – He led on a Panel Discussion at the 2017 VFX Festival about recruitment in visual effects.
- March 2017 – He gave a talk at UCAS about working in the creative industries focusing on VFX and Games.
- March 2017 – He gave a talk at the Brit School about working in the creative industries focusing on VFX and Games.
- February 2018 – At the 2018 VFX Festival Andrew hosted a Panel Discussion – Producing for VFX
- February 2018 – In February 2018 Andrew hosted an Anatomy masterclass with Stuart Sumita for 65 Framestore artists.
- February 2018 – Andy arranged for Mark Spevick to teach bespoke training sessions with Framestore.
The Artist and the Industry
This presentation will address some of the main issues faced by artists when they enter the VFX and Animation industries and will hopefully better prepare them for the demands and rigours of working effectively in a team on major projects.
It will cover the following topics:
- Understanding how to balance the sensibilities of the artist with the financial demands of working in a sustainable business
- Working effectively with your Producer and wider Production team
- Working more effectively with other artists and departments
- Negotiating wages and understanding how much you are worth
- Understanding the wider Industry and how your role fits into it
Your professional responsibilities and moral principles